Planning your work is protecting your investments!
If you are planning any construction work, please find out if a permit is required before you start.
When is a building permit required?
A Building Permit is required for the following works:
- any new construction, including residential, agricultural, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings;
- additions such as a carport, garage, room or another story to an existing building;
- addition of structural features such as a balcony, canopy or dormer or enclosing a porch;
- excavation for the construction of a new or full basement under an existing building;
- construction of any accessory building or structure with a gross floor area of 108 square feet or more, such as a garage or an accessory building;
- installation or replacement of doors or windows when structural modifications are required;
- renovations, repairs or structural changes such as removing a load bearing partition or wall;
- installation of a wood stove, furnace, fireplace or chimney;
- finishing of a basement;
- installation of a structural sign or tower;
- change of use of a building (example: from residential to commercial);
- installation of a swimming pool, a spa or a fence;
- installation of a new roof (except for the replacement of shingles)
- a retaining wall over 1 meter in height
- installation or modification to a plumbing system.
- Installation of solar panel on building.
Click on the links below to access the following application forms: