Clarence-Rockland Environmental Society
- Reuse if possible, plastic bags like the ones used for wood shavings, earth, much. There are some available at (613) 446-6479
- Be careful close to streams and roads
- Do not pick vegetal waste like branches and leafs
- Don't forget to sort aluminum cans
- Contact City Hall during the week if you have collected more than 3 bags or found heavy objects
- Students, for volunteer hours, contact (613) 446-6479
- Wear gloves and appropriate footwear.
Wear pants and long-sleeved shirts.
If cleaning near a roadway, wear a safety vest and clean only the non-travelled portion of a roadway.
Be aware of your surroundings and the potential hazards (i.e. branches, streams and poison ivy) and remember to put on protective eyewear.
Do not lift heavy objects.
NEVER TOUCH A NEEDLE OR A SYRINGE !!! CHILDREN should be taught NEVER to TOUCH a discarded NEEDLE or SYRINGE but to SHOW an ADULT WHERE IT IS.If not disposed of properly, needles can pose a health risk to the community and sanitation workers.
Should you find a needle or a syringe, do not touch and leave it there. Identify the location and contact the City of Clarence-Rockland’s Client Service Centre at 613.446.6022.
Children must never touch items like broken glass, metal or household hazardous waste. It’s a good idea to double up your garbage bags, or use a paper leaf and yard waste bag for transporting these items.
Supervise children in their cleanup efforts and emphasize that safety comes first.
After the activity, check your skin for ticks. Some ticks transmit diseases. If you find a tick, take the necessary steps to remove it.