Slider images
Slider images
Slider images
Slider images

Building Permits

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is required for the following works:

  • any new construction, including residential, agricultural, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings;
  • additions such as a carport, garage, room or another story to an existing building;
  • addition of structural features such as a balcony, canopy or dormer or enclosing a porch;
  • excavation for the construction of a new or full basement under an existing building;
  • construction of any accessory building or structure with a gross floor area of 108 square feet or more, such as a garage or an accessory building;
  • installation or replacement of doors or windows when structural modifications are required;
  • renovations, repairs or structural changes such as removing a load bearing partition or wall;
  • installation of a wood stove, furnace, fireplace or chimney;
  • finishing of a basement;
  • installation of a structural sign or tower;
  • change of use of a building (example: from residential to commercial);
  • installation of a swimming pool, a spa or a fence;
  • installation of a new roof (except for the replacement of shingles)
  • a retaining wall over 1 meter in height
  • installation or modification to a plumbing system.
  • installation of solar panel on building.

General information;

In order to obtain a building permit, kindly visit our office at 1560 Laurier Street in Rockland, at the Clarence-Rockland Town Hall, Building Department, during normal business hours and submit the required information with supporting documents. Before starting any work, you must verify the conformity of your project with the Planning Department.

Plan ahead; the issuance of a building permit may take a few days or weeks depending on the complexity of the project.

“A detached garage, shed or pool, may be subject to a grading plan if deemed necessary by the city’s Engineering department.”


Click on the  links below to access the following  application forms: