Provide protection to the residents of the City of Clarence-Rockland by ensuring compliance of the Ontario Building Code and the municipal by-laws relating to construction with regards to health, structural standard and fire protection.
1) A Building Permit is required for the following works:
  • any new construction, including: residential, agricultural, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings;
  • additions such as a carport, garage, room or another storey to an existing building;
  • addition of structural features such as a balcony, canopy or dormer or enclosing a porch;
  • excavation for the construction of a new or full basement under an existing building;
  • construction of any accessory building or structure with a gross floor area of 108 square feet or more, such as a garage or a accessory building;
  • installation or replacement of windows when structural modifications are required;
  • renovations or repairs or structural changes such as removing a load bearing partition or wall;
  • installation of a wood stove, furnace, fireplace or chimney;
  • finishing of a basement;
  • installation of a structural sign or tower;
  • change of use of a building (example: from residential to commercial);
  • installation of an in-ground or above-ground swimming pool; and
  • installation of a new roof (except for the replacement of shingles). 
2) A demolition permit is required to tear down a building or part of a building.
3) A moving permit is required if a building is moved, using the municipal roads, from one property to another even if the building is moved within another municipality. You should contact the other municipality and inform the concerned authorities: provincial police, public works, etc…
Building permit
You will be required to complete and sign an application from available at the Building Department. You will also be required to submit additional information based on the proposed construction.
You will be required to submit two complete sets of the building plans for new buildings, additions to existing buildings, accessory buildings and for all structural modifications to an existing building or structure. After the plans are reviewed and stamped, one set will be returned to you and you are required to keep these plans at the building site at all times.
What type of plans is required?
  • Building location plan
  • Foundation plan
  • Floor plan
  • Cross Section plan
  • Elevation plan
  • Survey plan
  • Lot grading plan prepared by a professional Engineer or Ontario Land Surveyor
  • Details and specifications as required by the complexity of the project
Location plan
  • The Building Location plan is required for all new buildings, additions, accessory buildings and all structural modifications
  • A site plan form is available at the building department to help you provide all the information required on the building location plan
Foundation plan
The Foundation plan must identify all measurements, the location and dimensions of all beams, load bearing walls, piers (including footings) and the thickness of all footings. The plan must also identify the material to be used, for example: concrete, blocks, poured concrete, wood, etc.
The plan must identify the dimension of all floor joists, the span and the spacing in the centre of the floor joists.
The plan must identify the location and all dimensions of the staircase opening.
Floor plan
A Floor Plan (drawn to scale) is required for each storey.
Each plan to be fully dimensioned with rooms and spaces identified.
The Floor Plan must identify the doors and windows including sizes, rough openings and size of lintels over openings.
The Floor Plan must identify all the plumbing fixtures.
The Floor Plan must indicate the location of the stairs including the area intended for the staircase.
Cross section
The Cross Section plan (drawn to scale) must show the foundation, wall construction and all materials and their sizes must be identified.
Elevation plan
A complete set of Elevation plan must be submitted, showing all four sides including exterior finish and indicating grade levels, decks, entrance ways, and finished floor to finished ceiling height, etc.
Site plan
The Survey plan must be prepared by an Ontario Land Surveyor and must identify all of the property boundaries and their respective measurements.
Other requirements that may apply
1) Installation of a sewage disposal system:
  • A Certificate of Approval must be obtained from the Eastern Ontario Health Unit prior to the installation of a sewage disposal system:
  • for the construction of a new or enlarged sewage disposal system, for example, septic tank and tile bed.
  • a copy of the certificate must be submitted prior to the issuance of a building permit.
  • A letter of approval from the Health Unit is required for all accessory buildings, additions, above or in-ground swimming pools, patio/decks (in other words, for all constructions undertaken beside the existing ones).
2) Connection to the municipal water system:
  • A fee must be paid before the building permit can be issued allowing for the building to be connected to the municipal water system.
3) Connection to the municipal sanitary sewage system and storm water system:
  • A connection fee must be paid before the building permit can be issued allowing for the building to be connected to the municipal sanitary sewage system and, if applicable, to the storm water system. 
4) Entrance Permit:
  • Municipal Road
In order to obtain your entrance permit, you will be required to complete an application form available at the public works department.
  • A copy of the entrance permit must be submitted to the Building Department, prior to obtaining the building permit. 
  • County Road 
A copy of the entrance permit issued by the Public Works Department of the United Counties of Prescott and Russell must be submitted to the Building Department, prior to obtaining the building permit.
5) New Home Warranty Program – Registration Number:
  • This information is required for all new residential buildings where the builder or general contractor is not the owner or when the house under construction will be sold. 
6) Other fees related to a Building Permit:
  •  All fees related to a Building Permit must be paid in full, prior to obtaining a building permit. Payment may be in cash, interact or by cheque made payable to the City of Clarence-Rockland. 
What are my obligations during the construction?
  • Posting your building permit so that it is visible from the street/road.
  • Keeping a copy of your building plans on the construction site.
  • Notify the Building Department (446-6022 ext. 2254) at least 24 hours in advance in order to schedule the following required inspections:
  • prior to pouring footings
  • before backfilling foundation
  • upon completion of framing, stairs, roof and mechanical installations
  • after installation of plumbing
  • after installation of insulation and vapor barriers, doors and windows
  • after fireplace roughing (if applicable)
  • after completion of the interior finish, installation of all handrails, exterior stairs and smoke alarm system
  • for readiness for occupancy (before moving in the residence)
  • final inspection of all the construction works
  • Notify the Building Department Staff of any proposed changes to your building plans before undertaking the work. These changes require their approval. 
Readiness for occupancy
An inspection is required for any new building or renovation prior to occupancy. This inspection is to confirm that the building is safe and meets minimum requirements as set out in the Ontario Building Code. The following items must be completed and/or operational for the occupancy inspection:
  • required exits, handrails and guards, fire alarm and detection systems and fire separations
  • required exhaust fume barriers and self-closing devices on doors between an attached or built-in garage and a dwelling unit
  • water supply, sewage disposal, lighting and heating systems
  • the plumbing distribution, drainage and venting systems are completed, operational inspected and tested
  • a confirmation that the water distribution system has been cleaned and chlorinated before water is turned on.
Final inspection
In order for the building department to close the building file and return your deposit, a final inspection will have to be performed and the following documents have to be provided to the inspector:
  • copy of the use permit for the septic system
  • ventilation design report completed by the mechanical contractor
  • water well record
  • bacteriological analysis of the well water
  • final grading plan
  • final electrical inspection report
What other matters should i be aware of?
Before undertaking any construction or renovation work, you must contact the following agencies:
Bell - Canada For telephone connections and the location of buried cables.
Hydro One - A permit and inspections are mandatory when electrical works are involved. For connection to the hydro-electrical service or to locate buried cables, you must contact the Public Utilities Section of Hydro One.
Enbridge - For connection and location of underground natural gas pipes.
Cable - For connection and location of underground television cable.
Insurance - Contact your agent in order to obtain insurance coverage during construction works.
What is the waiting period between the date of application and the date of issuance of the building permit?
Approximately 2 weeks
Depending on:
  • the nature and complexity of the proposed work;
  • the accuracy of the plans and the information provided;
  • if approvals are necessary from other agencies;
  • if special approvals must be obtained such as: minor variance, zoning amendment; and
  • the number of applications being processed. 
Why are there so many regulations and codes?
  • The Ontario Building Code is a provincial law and every municipality must ensure that the Code is applied to all new constructions. Its purpose is to ensure construction is safe for all occupants and home owners. The City of Clarence-Rockland and its employees have no authority to modify the standards established by the Building code.
  • Municipal by-laws and the various codes that apply to new constructions are intended to protect individual rights and the standard of development for the community. All new constructions and renovations must also comply with health and fire protection and general safety requirements.
What happens if i build without obtaining a building permit?
  • Every person who erects a building or structure without first obtaining a Building Permit commits an infraction and is subject to fines or penalties set out in the Ontario Building Code Act.
  • If you require additional information concerning the need to obtain a building permit, please contact the Building Department at (446-6022 ext. 2254).